Muscat: The World Health Organization (WHO) today declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern due to Ebola virus outbreaks in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda. Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus determined that Ebola disease caused by the Bundibugyo virus in the two countries constitutes a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, though it does not meet pandemic emergency criteria, the WHO said.
According to Oman News Agency, the declaration aims to put neighbouring countries on maximum alert and mobilise international support. As of Saturday, eight laboratory-confirmed cases, 246 suspected cases, and 80 suspected deaths had been recorded in Ituri province in the DRC across at least three health zones, the WHO said. The province borders Uganda and South Sudan.
Two laboratory-confirmed cases have also been recorded in Kampala, including one death, with no clear link between the two cases on 15-16 May. Both individuals had arrived from the DRC. Ebola is a contagious and dangerous disease transmitted through direct physical contact and body fluids. The Robert Koch Institute notes that the mortality rate can reach 90 percent without immediate treatment.
More than 11,000 people died during the West Africa outbreak in 2014-2015. The most recent Ebola outbreak in the DRC occurred last September, when 45 people died in Kasai province during the country's 16th outbreak since 1976.